Tuesday Tip: winter road safety
November 4, 2014
Here are some tips to ensure a greater degree of safety on the road:
- Make sure your vehicle is prepared for the conditions by ensuring your battery, taillights and headlights are in good working order, tires are adequately inflated and all fluid levels are topped up.
- Maintain an adequate following distance and slow down – it takes longer to stop on slippery roads.
- Adjust your mirrors to minimize blind spots and keep them free of ice and snow.
- Use extreme caution on bridge decks, overpasses and less travelled roads as these tend to freeze first.
- Make sure your mobile phone is fully charged.
Always keep an emergency kit in your vehicles that includes:
- Ice scraper/snowbrush
- Bang of sand , salt or cat litter (provides traction when stuck)
- Warning flares or reflective roadside markers
- Extra gloves/mittens
- Flashlight and batteries
- First—aid kit
- Booster cables
- Non-perishable snack foods
- Candles and matches
- Cup to melt snow for water
Want to know all about Auto insurance quotes? don’t miss our full guide for Auto insurance.