Does home insurance cover university students?

Going off to university is both exciting and a little nerve-wracking. Moving out for the first time, you may be wondering does a parent’s home insurance cover university students while they live away from home? Are they covered if their belongings get stolen or damaged? As long as the university student’s primary residence remains as the parent’s home address, their home insurance will cover them.

Always check in with your insurance broker as every home insurance policy provider is different. There may be special exclusions and limitations that are different. For example, sometimes there is a specific limit to how much will be covered for university students, i.e. $10,000.

You should also inform your insurance company before your university student moves. Many insurers require notification.

Create an Inventory

Moving is the perfect time to create an inventory list. You should create an inventory list of all the belongings your university student is bringing with them. This will help in the event you need to make a claim.


What does home insurance cover for university students?

This coverage is an extension of your home insurance. That means it will generally mirror what is and what isn’t covered by your home insurance. It will cover belongings such as furniture, clothing, bikes, electronics, and more. Keep in mind that you may have a special limit for your university student’s belongings. If you have high-value items, you may need to take out special coverage to ensure they’re adequately protected.

Remember that a claim for your university student counts as a claim for your home insurance. The more claims you have, the more expensive your insurance rates will become as a result. It’s a good idea to make sure your child is aware of how to protect their belongings, like locking up valuables.


Do university students need renter’s insurance?

Renter’s insurance is necessary if a university student’s primary address is not the address listed on the parent’s home insurance policy. If they rent off-campus or change their driving license, they should get renter’s insurance. Some universities also require a separate policy for their residents.

Renter’s insurance covers the personal belongings of a renter, including furniture, clothing, electronics and more. There is also more room to add on coverage and increase policy limits. It’s also very affordable.

One of our insurance brokers would be happy to help if you have any questions about your home insurance or renter’s insurance.

Contact your Rogers Insurance Professional to get a quote today.


Blog Author: Gabrielle Reid

Start a Conversation With One of Our Expert Brokers Today to Determine the Right Coverage for You.

get started